International TD-6 at antique tractor show, Tulare, California, 2006
|No. produced||38,450 (includes T-6 and TD-6)|
|Preceded by||New model|
|Superseded by||International TD-6 Series 61|
|Power hp||35 belt, 28 drawbar|
|Displacement cu in /(litre)||248 ci|
|No. of Cylinders||4|
|Bore in (mm)||3.875 in|
|Stroke in (mm)||5.25 in|
|Naturally aspirated, Turbo or Supercharged||NA|
|Transmission type||sliding gear|
|Clutch||Rockford single plate|
|Tyre Sizes (std/options)|
|Weight (nominal) lb/kg||6800 lb|
|Turning circle (nominal) inches/meters||12 ft|
|Plow rating||3-4 14"|
|Nebraska Tests No.||345|
|Approximate Cost new in (year)||$9410 (1956)|
The International TD-6 was a new small crawler for International Harvester, following the styling theme introduced earlier on the TD-18. The TD-6 diesel was identical to the gasoline-powered T-6 except for the engine. The 248 ci 4-cylinder diesel was very similar in basic design to the gasoline version, but strengthened to withstand the stresses of operation on diesel. Like all International diesels of the time, it started on gasoline.
In 1940 the TD-6 had a larger engine than the Caterpillar D-2 (248 ci vs. 221 ci) and developed somewhat more power. The TD-6 was a little less powerful than the Cletrac AD. In mid-1947 Caterpillar enlarged the engine of the D-2 to 251ci, making the D-2 slightly more powerful than the International TD-6. In 1951 International revised the TD-6 by increasing the compression ratio from 14.2 to 16.8. In Nebraska test no. 482 the revised tractor developed 38 belt and 32 drawbar horsepower. The TD-6 was now more powerful than the Cat D-2. In 1956 International came out with the still higher powered TD-6 Series 61.
- 1940 - International TD-6 introducedTracTracTor|10-20 TracTracTor]]
- 1951 - Compression ratio increased for more power
- 1956 - TD-6 upgraded to become the International TD-6 Series 61
Factory locations Edit
See Infobox for basic details
- Track gauge: 40" or 50"
- Track shoe width: 10" (1940); 12" (1944)
Variations and Options Edit
- Wide-tread version
- Optional track show width: 8", 12", 13", 14", 15", 16", 18", or 20"
- Rubber track shoes
- Orchard seat
- Orchard fenders
- Belt pulley
- Electric lights and starting
Serial Numbers Information Edit
|Year|| Serial no. run|
| Serial no. run|
|1940||501||4434||3934||Serial range includes T-6 and TD-6|
|1941||4435||8189||3755||Number built calculated|
No information on any individual examples of these tractors in preservation is currently available on here.
- Do you know of any examples to list ?
Add extra photos here please.
See also Edit
- Collection related info
- Shows and Meets - events featuring tractors and other machinery
- Clubs Listing - List of clubs including various tractor marques
- Collections - list of private collections with tractors (add yours)
- Museums - includes museums featuring tractors (please add missing ones)
References / Sources Edit
- Please supply some relevant references or sources for information for verification of data.
External Links Edit
- Add any suitable (& Relevant) web links here