International TD-24 Torque Converter Series 241 with standard 6-roller tracks, 1955
|Preceded by||TD-24 (gear drive)|
|Superseded by||TD-25 Series 250|
|Power hp||200 net engine|
|Displacement cu in /(litre)||1091 ci|
|No. of Cylinders||6|
|Bore in (mm)||5.75 in|
|Stroke in (mm)||7 in|
|Naturally aspirated, Turbo or Supercharged||NA|
|Transmission type||2-speed constant mesh with torque converter and 2-speed planetary power shift in each track|
|Tyre Sizes (std/options)|
|Weight (nominal) lb/kg||40375 lb|
|Turning circle (nominal) inches/meters||24 ft|
Allis-Chalmers made torque converter drive optional on its HD-14 in 1946 and standard on its HD-19 in 1948. It took Caterpillar and International until mid 1955 to come out with torque converter models. The International TD-24 Torque Converter Series 241 weighed 40375 lb and developed 200 net hp from its 1500 rpm engine. It combined the torque converter with a 2-speed constant mesh manual transmission and 2-speed power shifted tracks for 4-speeds forward and reverse, giving it an advantage over its competitors. The Caterpillar D-8D Series 15A weighed 41600 lb and was rated at 191 hp. It used a 3-speed manual transmission with the torque converter. The Allis-Chalmers HD-21 was slightly larger and more powerful than the International, at 44000 lb and 204 hp, but had only a 2-speed transmission with its torque converter. In 1957 Allis-Chalmers increased the HD-21 to 225 hp and in 1959 Caterpillar brought out the D-8H, with 235 hp and an optional 3-speed full-power shift transmission. In mid year International replaced the TD-24 with the all new TD-25 Series 250.
- 1955 - TD-24 upgraded to Series 241, TD-24 Series 241 Torque Converter added.
- 1959 - TD-25 Series 250 replaced TD-24 Series 241
Factory locations Edit
See Infobox for basic details
- Track frame: 6 rollers, 2 top idlers
- Track gauge: 80"
- Track shoe width: 22"
Variations and Options Edit
- Optional track frame: 7 rollers, 2 top idlers
- Optional track shoe width: 24"
Serial Numbers Information Edit
|Year|| Serial no. run|
| Serial no. run|
|1955||601||825||225||Total calculated from serial range|
|Total built||Included with gear drive model|
No information on any individual examples of these tractors in preservation is currently available on here.
- Do you know of any examples to list ?
Add extra photos here please.
See also Edit
- International TD-24 Series 241 (gear-drive model)
- International TD-25 Series 250
- List of Tractor Manufacturers
- List of International Harvester Vehicles
- Collection related info
- Shows and Meets - events featuring tractors and other machinery
- Clubs Listing - List of clubs including various tractor marques
- Collections - list of private collections with tractors (add yours)
- Museums - includes museums featuring tractors (please add missing ones)
References / Sources Edit
- Please supply some relevant references or sources for information for verification of data.
External Links Edit
- Add any suitable (& Relevant) web links here