There are all sorts of special machines built for specific tasks (special purposes).
Some examples being:
- Drainage & Trench cutters
- Pipe lifting Crawlers
- Pipeline welding support units (early units built out of old crawlers).
- Dust suppression unit and self propelled Water Bowsers built from old Scraper units
- Mobile on-site Refuelling units built on old scraper chassis.
- Early piling & drilling rigs built out of old excavator base units
- Rock headers for tunnelling
- Rock millers
- Winch tractors for powerline erecting works, built by the Auto-Mowers company & heavy duty winches for timber & Forestry works fitted to County & Roadless 4 Wd tractors from firms like Broughton.
- Peat harvesters
- Demolition Hi-Reach units most are custom built (up to 90m reach)
- Long reach excavators for rivers and quarry's
- Barge mounted Excavators
- Dock side ship loading/unloading material handlers
- Road-rail adapted machines: - Excavators, Land Rovers, Tractors and Unimogs for track maintenance works.
- Timber forwarder / Skidder units. used for pulling timber out of forests to the roadway or in some place the river to go to the processing plant.
- And a 101 others.
A growing range of specialist attachments is available to fit machines such as excavators, loaders and skid steers.
- examples include
- Construction Plant Manufactures
- List of Heavy Haulage Contractors
- List of Types of Agricultural Machinery
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.