A Self Propelled Modular Transporter (SPMT) is a platform vehicle with a large array of wheels on the bottom. They are used for transporting massive objects such as bridges, oil refining equipment, huge motors, large bridge sections, and other objects that are too big or heavy for trucks but trucks can provide traction and braking for the SPMTs on inclines and decents. These vehicle may also be called a Self Propelled Modular Trailer.
A typical SPMT can have a grid of several dozen computer-controlled wheels, all individually controllable and steerable, in order to evenly distribute weight and steer accurately. Each individual wheel can swivel independently from other wheels, to allow the SPMT to turn, move sideways, or even spin in place. Some SPMTs allow each wheel to telescope independently of each other, so that the load can be kept flat and evenly distributed while moving over uneven terrain. As SPMTs often carry the world's heaviest loads on wheeled vehicles, they are very slow vehicles, often moving at under one mile per hour while fully loaded. Some SPMTs are controlled by a worker with a hand held control panel, while other SPMTs have a driver cabin. In addition, multiple SPMTs can be combined to transport massive building-sized objects.
- Applied mechanics
- Mammoet, a developer and user of SPMTs.
- New Dafang Group a Chinese builder of SPMT's
- Nooteboom Distributers of SPMT units in some markets along side there range of trailers.
- Scheuerle, manufacturer of SPMTs.
Add your photos of SPMT units here.
- Glossary Index - define common terms
- List of Truck Manufacturers
- Heavy Haulage Contractors
- Heavy Haulage
References / sourcesEdit
Based on wikipedi article
- ALE heavylift user of SPMTs and SPTs (self propelled trailer).
- Alton SAED, designer of manoeuvres and user of SPMTs.
- Goldhofer, Manufacturer of SPMTs
- Kamag, Manufacturer of SPMTs.
- FLJ , Manufacturer & Supplier of SPMTs from China
- New Dafang Group, designer of manufacturer of SPMTs in China.
- Nicolas, Manufacturer of SPMTs.
- Sarens, another user of SPMTs.
- Scheuerle, Manufacturer of SPMTs.
- TIANDI Heavy Industry Manufacturer of SPMTs.
- Wanshan, Manufacturer of SPMTs.
|This page uses some content from Wikipedia. The original article was at Self Propelled Modular Transporter. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with Tractor & Construction Plant Wiki, the text of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons by Attribution License and/or GNU Free Documentation License. Please check page history for when the original article was copied to Wikia|