| Please help improve this article or section by expanding it.|
Further information might be found on the talk page or at requests for expansion.
The company of Savage Bros from King's Lynn, England, founded cira 1850 by Fredrick Savage and ?, are best known for building Steam centre engines, a special version of a stationary steam engine for use in the 'centre' of fairground rides. Very few are still in use to as most were replaced by electric motors as electric generators on ex army lorries became popular in place of the Showmans engines fairground engines for hauling the fairground rides about.
The company also built a small number of Traction engines.
A number of the engines built by Savage survive in Fairground Rides with some of these center engines providing power. Others are in steam museums just as static exhibits. Seventy One engines are listed in the Traction Engine Register 2008 list for the UK with 3 having been exported. One example of a Savage Traction Engine exists. There were also 4 new build engines by Belmec International built to Savage designs in the 1970s, with two of the being Traction engines.
Some of the surviving Savage engines:
- Savage no. 231 - 1880s - steam engine (fitted to Savage no. 657)
- Savage no. 418 - 1887 Thursford Steam Museum (photo to add)
- Savage no. 420 - 1887 Thursford Steam Museum
- Savage no. 421 - 1887 Thursford Steam Museum - Photo above
- Savage no. 422 - 1887 Scofields Gallopers - Cromford Steam Rally 2008 (photo above)
- Savage no. 449 - 1888 Thursford Steam Museum
- Savage no. 638 - 1895 Downs Amusements collection John Bull (photo to add)
- Savage no. 640 - 1895 Downs Amusements collection
- Savage no. 657 - 1896 - Centre engine Lydia Grace - owner Steve Kent restored 2010
- Savage no. 664 - 1896 Howard Brothers Amusements Lady-Go-Lightly
- Savage no. 740 - 1899 Thursford Steam Museum
- Savage no. 762 - 1900 Thursford Steam Museum Enterprise
- Savage no. 763 - 1900 Thursford Steam Museum
- Savage no. 772 - 1900 Hollycombe Steam collection Little Jim
- Savage no. 869 - 1915 Hollycombe Steam collection Bottons Pride
- Savage no. 870 - 1915 Hollycombe Steam collection
- Savage no. 899 - 1923 Hollycombe Steam collection Pauline
|Engine No.||Name||Build Date||Type||Weight||Power nhp||Reg No.||Owner||Image||Other info|
|maker no.||Featured in|
|Engine no. ?|
|Make and no||Name||date built||type||weight||power||Reg no.||Owner||Photo||Misc info|
|Machine types Key: SW = Steam Wagon, PE = Ploughing Engine, RR = Road Roller, SM = Showmans, TE = Traction Engine|
References / sources
- Cromford steam fair 2008