Rowe Hillmaster was a commercial vehicle manufacturer founded in 1953 by a local coach and garage operator Maurice G Rowe of Rowe's garage Ltd. of Dobwalls , Liskeard in Cornwall. Maurice uilt a Coach to his own design to cope with the local conditions in 1953 based on a Meadows 4DC engine. The Company hen designed and built several designs of truck based on the Meadows engine. Sales were limited and production ceased in 1962.
Initially started as a Coach builder by Maurice G Rowe owner of Rowe's Garage Ltd in Dobwalls Cornwall. The manufacturing side became M.G. Rowe (Motors) Doublebois Ltd and went on to build several designs of truck suited to the Cornish hills, hence the Rowe hillmaster brand. Some of the designs featured 'under floor' engines to give better load space. Initially Meadows engines were used but AEC and Gardner engines were also offered as an option.
The trucks ranged from 6 ton to 14 ton payload in std form and a 15-to articulated tractor unit. The cabs were supplied by coachbuilders Jennings of Sandbach in Cheshire.
- Rowe Coach - only 5 built
- Rowe-Hillmaster 6 ton - 90 hp Meadows 4DC-330
- Rowe-Hillmaster 8 Ton - fitter with a 2 speed Eaton axle.
- Rowe-Hillmaster 7-tonner - Fitted with under floor engine. (based on the earlier Coach layout)
- Rowe-Hillmaster M/10 - 1956 - Meadows 4DC-330 engine or a 9 - 10 toner with choice of power plant
Very few examples survive of this niche make.
- 5 examples are known
|Registration No.||Make-Model or type no||Build-Year||Engine-Make/Type||Weight/class||Chassis/Body type||Owner |
|Photo||Were seen/Featured||Other info|
|Please add any truck with known reg or serial no. with Photo if possible.|
|Create a page (link) for an individual truck by linking the reg or serial number using [[Truck make-model-reg no.|reg number]] or [[Truck make-model-serial no.|serial number]] in the relevant column. Then once saved click the red link to start the new page and add info on that truck.|
References / sourcesEdit
- The World Encyclopedia of Trucks, by Peter J Davies, Select Editions, ISBN 1-84309-201-8
- The Illustrated Encyclopedia Of Trucks And Buses by Denis Miller Quantum Books, ISBN 1-86160-603-6
- Graces Guide