This is a list of internal combustion engines produced by the former Allis-Chalmers Corporation Engine Division for use in their lines of tractors, combine harvesters and other agricultural equipment.
Note that Allis-Chalmers purchased the Buda Engine Co. in 1953 and took over their well-established line of products. Since Buda was merged entirely into A-C as part of their new Engine Division, its operations became known simply as the "Harvey plant", Illinois and all of its production after 1953 was under the Allis-Chalmers brand name.
The very earliest A-C tractors, up to the mid-1930s, used engines built by outside suppliers (LeRoi, Midwest, Waukesha and Continental were common). Those engines are not included in this list. In a later reversal of this practice, the Engine Division eventually served as a third-party supplier to other makers of farm and industrial machinery, most notably Cockshutt and LeRoi.
Allis-Chalmers (and Buda) produced heavy-duty engine designs that were built to handle a variety of fuel types (generally gasoline, diesel fuel, or liquefied propane gas (LPG)). The types of fuel each engine could burn are listed where appropriate; further information on fuel types for each engine can be found in the individual engine articles.
- 153 Series (153in3; gasoline or diesel)
- 175 Series (175in3; diesel)
- 182 Series (182in3; gasoline or diesel)
- 344 Series (344in3; diesel)
- 433 Series (200in3; gasoline or diesel)
- B Series (116 or 125in3; gasoline)
- E Series (460, 510, or 563in3; gasoline or diesel)
- G Series (138, 149, or 160in3; gasoline or propane)
- W Series (201 or 226in3; gasoline or propane)
- 230 Series (230in3; gasoline or diesel)
- 262 Series (262in3; gasoline, propane or diesel)
- 273 Series (273in3; gasoline or diesel)
- 649 Series (301in3; gasoline, propane or diesel)
- 670 Series (426in3; diesel)
- 685 Series (516in3; diesel)
- 6120 Series (731in3; diesel)
- 6138 Series (844in3; gasoline or diesel)
- V8 Series (1358in3; diesel)
- V12 Series (2035in3; diesel)
- Gleaner -- A-C's line of combine harvesters, purchased in 1955
- List of Allis-Chalmers tractors
- Buda Engine Co.
- List of Engine Manufacturers
- Swinford, Norm (1994). Allis-Chalmers Farm Equipment 1914-1985. ISBN 0-929355-54-7
|This page uses some content from Wikipedia. The original article was at List of Allis-Chalmers engines. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with Tractor & Construction Plant Wiki, the text of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons by Attribution License and/or GNU Free Documentation License. Please check page history for when the original article was copied to Wikia|