Kennings Motor Group of Clay Cross, Derbyshire, were a car distributor and hire company. The company also operated as Kenning Car Rentals, and Kenning Tyre Servies. In the 1990s the group was broken up. The Kenning name was revived by the great grandsons of the founder and now operate as GK Group selling Ford cars.
- 1878 - Company founded by Frank Kenning as a hardware store in Clay Cross, Chesterfield.
- 1915 - George Kenning obtains Ford franschise and later the Morris Motor Company for the Frank Kenning and Sons
- 1927 - Buys Morris motors entire production run.
- 1930 - Private company.
- 1938 - converted to public Company as Kenning Ltd. and through subsequent acquisitions gradually gained franchises for Austin, Morris, MG, Standard, Triumph, Rover and Daimler cars.
- 1940s - supplied a fleet of one ton Roadless 1/2 track lorries which went to Anglo-Persian oil.
- 1950s - HQ moved to Vicar Lane Chesterfield
- 1960s - set up major tyre remolding operation and retailing their own label, Fisk and John Bull tyre brands throug Kenning Tyre Services. Bicycle tyres up to earthmover tyre
- 1960s - Group HQ opened at Old Hall rd Chesterfield
- 1970s - opended 2 motorway service areas -'Strensham' on the M5 and 'Anderton' on the M61
- 1981 - George Kenning died unexpectedly and brother David died the following year
- 1986 - Hostile take over by results in breakup of the group.
- 1987 - Wadham Kenning formed from merger of some franschies with TKMs Wadham Stringer chain
- 1990s - Retail operations sold to Inschape Motor Group
- 1990s - Some retail operations rebranded as GK Group following buyout by the grandsons of Frank Kenning of the Name.
- 1994 - Kenning Car Rental becomes independent.
- 2000s - Kenning Car Rental operation renamed Sixt following takeover by the German group.
- Wholesale and retail distributors;
- light commercial,
- heavy commercial vehicles,
- motor cars,
- petroleum products,
- tyres and spare parts.
- Manufacturing operations;
- specialised coachbuilding,
- Tyre remoulders
- Maintenance and repair services;
- Car and van hire
- Car rental operations in UK, Ireland and France
- van hire in UK
- Leasing operation in UK to Blue Chip companies and Government departments
The company had branches from Maidstone to Plymouth to Aberdeen and in the Republic of Ireland.
References / sourcesEdit
- www.gkgroup.co.uk GK website
Under construction - add companies with articles
Inchcape plc add companies
|Asia and Australasia|
Inchcape plc add companies...