JOHN ALLEN & SONS LIMITED
of Hockmore Street, Cowley, Oxford (later rename Between Towns Road).
1868 Company founded - presumably Oxfordshire Steam Ploughing Co
1887 A manager, John Allen, was brought to Oxford from the Dorchester works.
1897 John Allen bought the company for which he was manager; he concentrated the business on steam road-rolling rather than cultivation, which was a more lucrative business.
1904 ALLEN, John, The Elms, Offaly, Oxford. Cars: 10-h.p. Daimler, 16-h.p. de Dietrich. Has driven 30,000 miles. Hobby: Mechanics. Is proprietor of the Oxfordshire Steam Ploughing Co., and was for four years Chairman of the National Traction-engine Owners' Association. His eldest son, who is now thirteen, has driven the Daimler car since he was eleven-and-a-half years old. Clubs: Constitutional, Oxford Automobile, A.C.G. B. & I. (Founder member). 
1915 Private company. Perhaps Oxford Steam Plough Co
1924 Name changed - presumably John Allen and Sons (Oxford) Ltd. Offered the Allen road scarifier.
1948 Captain James John Cullimore Allen, governing director, was awarded OBE
1961 Agricultural mechanical, electrical and general engineers and public works contractors. 300 employees.
(From the Graces Guide webpages)
The company of John Allen of Oxford Ltd was originally established in 1874 as the Oxfordshire Steam Ploughing Company. John Allen takes over the firm in 1897. The Firm became John Allen & (Sons) Ltd in 1925. The firm was noted for manufacturing scarifiers for steam rollers and also re built engines. They built a few steam engines themselves and also fair ground rides. The firm was later known for the Allen Scythe, and building drainage machinery, before being taken over by Grove of America after a JV. By 1984 Grove Cranes had closed the Allen division down, after merging it with other UK operations & transferring production to Sunderland.
- 1 Development and later History
- 2 Product range
- 3 Preservation
- 4 ALLEN Of Oxford Original Model Range Photo Gallery
- 5 Mr John Allen of Oxford engineer, inventor and the company founderA 1950s Allen Of Oxford Original Model Range CatalogueA 1950s Allen Of Oxford Autogardeners Model RangeA 1950s Allen Of Oxford MotorscytheA 1950s Allen Of Oxford Motorscythes Model RangeA 1950s Allen Of Oxford Motorscythe for farming and gardeningA 1950s Allen Of Oxford Manual GardensweepersA 1950s Allen Of Oxford Manual Sweepers Model RangeA 1960s Allen Of Oxford Manual Gardensweepers Model RangeA 1960s Allen Of Oxford Motorsickles for farms and gardensA 1900s ALLEN Of Oxford Steam Roadrollers outside the Cowley factoryA 1910s ALLEN Of Oxford Steam Farmers TractorA 1910s ALLEN Of Oxford Steam Tractor Number 67A 1920s ALLEN Of Oxford Steam Tractor preservedA 1920s ALLEN Of Oxford Steam Tractor preservedA 1920s ALLEN Steam Roadroller outside the Cowley factoryA 1930s Allen Of Oxford Steam RoadrollerA 1920s ALLEN Of Oxford Steam Roadroller preservedA 1930s Allen Of Oxford Steam Excavator making a new roadA 1930s Allen Of Oxford Petrol engined ExcavatorA 1930s Allen-Parsons Of Oxford Excavator TrencherA 1930s Allen Of Oxford Steam Waveless RoadrollerA 1940s Allen Of Oxford Towable Roadgrader preservedA 1940s Allen Of Oxford Motorplough modified unit preservedA 1940s Allen Of Oxford Petrol engined Trencher preservedA 1950s Allen Of Oxford Autoculto Garden tractor awaiting restorationA 1960s Foden Haulage Rig carrying a ALLEN 1660 TrencherA 1950s ALLEN Of Oxford Super Duty Trencher 1660 Petrol enginedA 1960s ALLEN Of Oxford 1660 Crawler-Trencher DieselA 1960s ALLEN-FORDSON Landrainer Trencher MK1A 1960s ALLEN-HOWARD-Fordson Drainage Machine MK1A 1970s ALLEN-FORDSON Landrainer Trencher MK3A 1970s ALLEN-FORDSON Landrainer Trencher MK4A 1970s ALLEN-FORDSON Landrainer Trencher MK4A 1950s ALLEN Of Oxford Steam Traction Engines of their last madeA 1950s ALLEN K64 Superduty Shovel Diesel 4X2A 1950s ALLEN SuperDuty Shovel Diesel 4X2A 1950s ALLEN T10 Cranetruck 6X4 DieselA 1960s ALLEN T642 Cranetruck 4X2 Diesel (Model T642 shown)A 1970s ALLEN T6 Cranetruck Diesel owned by SparrowsA 1970s ALLEN Of Oxford Mobilecranes Imported to AustraliaA 1960s ALLEN T10 Cranetruck Diesel 15T 6X4A 1960s ALLEN T10 Cranetruck 15T 6X4 DieselA 1970s ALLEN Cranetruck Hydraulic M2264 6X4 DieselA 1970s ALLEN M2264 Cranetruck Diesel Hydraulic 6X4A 1970s ALLEN T6 Cranetruck Diesel preserved & restoredAnother 1970s ALLEN T6 Lattice Cranetruck DieselAnother restored 1970s ALLEN T6 Cranetruck Diesel 4X2A 1970s ALLEN T6 Cranetruck Diesel Hydraulic in a boatyardA 1970s ALLEN-MICHIGAN T6 Diesel Armycrane 4X2A 1970s ALLEN-MICHIGAN T6 Armycrane Diesel workingA 1970s ALLEN T10 Cranetruck Diesel 6X4A 1970s ALLEN T10 Cranetruck Diesel Hydraulic 6X4A 1970s ALLEN Of Oxford T664 Cranetruck Diesel 6X4A 1970s ALLEN T10 Cranetruck Diesel Hydraulic 6X4A 1970s ALLEN T10 Cranetruck Diesel Hydraulic 6X4A 1970s ALLEN T10 6X4 Cranetruck Hydraulic DieselA 1970s ALLEN T12 Cranetruck 6X4 with Leyland Diesel enginesA 1980s ALLEN T12 Cranetruck 6X4 working in a boatyardA 1970s ALLEN T12 Cranetruck Diesel Hydraulic in Norfolk in a boatyardA 1980s ALLEN-GROVE HS1564 Cranetruck Hydraulic Diesel 6X4A 1980s ALLEN-GROVE HS1564 Cranetruck Diesel Hydraulic 6X4A 1980s ALLEN HS1564 Cranetruck Diesel Hydraulic 6X4A 1980s ALLEN H1564 Cranetruck Hydraulic TDI 6X4A 1980s ALLEN HS1564 Cranetruck Diesel Hydraulic 6X4A 1980s ALLEN HS2564 Cranetruck Diesel Hydraulic 6X4A 1980s ALLEN HS2564 Cranetruck Hydraulic 6X4 TDIA 1980s ALLEN HS2564 Cranetruck Hydraulic TDI 6X4A 1980s ALLEN-GROVE HS3064 Army Cranetruck Hydraulic 6X4A 1980s ALLEN.GROVE HS3064 Cranetruck Diesel 6X4A 1980s ALLEN HS2564 Cranetruck Hydraulic TDI 6X4A 1980s ALLEN HS2564 Cranetruck Hydraulic TDI 6X4A 1980s ALLEN-GROVE HS2564 Cranetruck Hydraulic DieselA 1980s ALLEN H4064 TD Cranetruck Hydraulic 8X4A 1980s ALLEN H4084 TDI Cranetruck Hydraulic 8X4A 1980s ALLEN H4064 TDI Cranetruck Hydraulic 8X4A 1980s ALLEN H4064 Cranetruck Hydraulic TDI 8X4A 1980s ALLEN H4064 Cranetruck Diesel Hydraulic 8X4A 1980s ALLEN-GROVE TMS160 TDI 6X4 Cranetruck HydraulicA 1980s ALLEN-GROVE TMS180 model being assembled at CowleyA 1980s ALLEN-GROVE TMS180 Cranetruck Hydraulic TDI 8X4A 1990s ALLEN-GROVE HS2564 Cranetruck Hydraulic TD 6X4A 1990s ALLEN-GROVE HS2564 TDI Cranetruck HydraulicA 1990s ALLEN-GROVE HS2564 TDI Cranetruck Hydraulic 6X4A 1990s ALLEN-GROVE TMS180 TDI 8X4 Cranetruck HydraulicA 1990s ALLEN-GROVE H40 TDI Cranetruck Hydraulic 8X4A 1990s ALLEN-GROVE H40 TDI Cranetruck Hydraulic 8X4
- 6 See also
- 7 References / sources
- 8 External links
Development and later History
- 1874 Oxfordshire Steam Company founded
- 1897 John Allen takes over.
- 1925 Company renamed John Allen & (Sons) Ltd
- 1950's/60's Produced a range of mobile cranes and rope operated excavators under licence from The Michigan Corp. of America, using British power units.
- 1950's/60's Produced a range of endless chain and bucket trench excavators to Parsons design,using British made engines.
- 1950's/60's produced the Allen Tractor Operated Shovel (ATOS), a tractor driven trailed hydraulic backhoe.
- ? Form Joint Venture with Grove of America
- 1984 Grove closes the Allen division down. Production had previously transferred to Sunderland ( The Coles Cranes manufacturing facility also owned by Grove)
- Steam roller
- Allen Scythe
- Land Drainage machinery
- Allen Grader - trailed grader
- Rope operated excavators
- Mobile cranes
- A.T.O.S hydraulic excavator
- Tractor-drawn and PTO, driven hydraulic backhoe.
- Bucket and chain trenchers
- Allen 16/60 crawler mounted, Gardner powered chain and bucket trencher.
- Allen 14/30 crawler mounted Gardner or Dorman powered.
- Allen 12/21 crawler mounted Gardner or Dorman powered.
Examples of Allen Scarifier's on Steam rollers and a few Allen Scythes are on display at shows.
- Only one John Allen engine is listed in the Traction Engine Register, this being 1913 preserved at the Hollycombe Steam collection in Hampshire. , a 12 ton ploughing engine built in
ALLEN Of Oxford Original Model Range Photo Gallery
References / sources
- add relevant ext links to items featuring Allen of Oxford