J.C. Balls & Sons of Ambergate in Derbyshire, are Excavation and plant hire contractors.
The Brothers that now run the firm have been building up a collection of classic machines, some of which featured in the firms early history. They take machines to several shows and events throughout the year. They are all immaculately restored and several are painted with the companies name or Logo.
They have 3 of 60 only JCB anniversary specials, produced in a custom specification for JCB;s 60th Birthday.
- Fordson E1A Major fitted with JCB Backhoe Mk1 of 1954
- JCB 7 Excavator
- JCB 1 Grave digger - this machine used to sit on the roof of the Excavator Pub up the Road from there yard.
- JCB Mk1 Trailer of c1945
- JCB 1000 Loading shovel of 1968
- JCB 3DII backhoe loader
- JCB 3CX special edition
- Caterpillar Sixty - Featured on the tractor Wiki front page displayed at SED 2007
- Caterpillar R4 - Bulldozer of 1943 Fitted with LeTourneu cable control Dozer blade & a Hyster winch.
- Caterpillar D6 -
- Hymac - Hy-Mac 480 Crane. a very rare machine built locally Rowesley near to J.C. Balls yard at Ambergate
- John Deere Elevating Motor Scraper
- Thames Trader Tipper lorry - APR 196B
- ERF Tractor Unit - ?
- Scammell Crusader tractor unit with single axle low loader - NOF 425R
- Gypsie Horse drawn Caravan
They also run a Dancing digger display team for local shows. They were at the Cromford Steam Fair 2008 held in Derbyshire.
Modern Machine FleetEdit
- State of the Art Mobile Volumetric Concrete Batch plant.
- Fleet of Tippers fitted with Grab Loaders
- Mercedes Tractor unit & Low Loader.
- Fleet of predominately JCB machines from mini excavators up to 40 ton machines used in the recycling yard
- Recycling plant and skip service
- Roller hire
These are some of the events that they have attended with some of the fleet of classic machinery;
- Bakewell Showground Spectacular (new event in 2010)
- Belper Steam and Vintage Event
- Cromford Steam Rally
- Darley Dale Festival of Transport
- Elvaston Steam Rally
- Great Dorset Steam Fair
References / sourcesEdit
- Based on Cromford & Belper show guide, and photos from events featured
- Classic Plant & Machinery Magazine