International TD-24 Series 241 with optional 7-roller tracks, 1955
|Preceded by||International TD-24|
|Superseded by||International TD-25 Series 250|
|Power hp||190 net engine, 154 drawbar|
|Displacement cu in /(litre)||1091 ci|
|No. of Cylinders||6|
|Bore in (mm)||5.75 in|
|Stroke in (mm)||7 in|
|Naturally aspirated, Turbo or Supercharged||NA|
|Transmission type||4-speed syncromesh, with 2-speed planetary power shift in each track|
|Clutch||Rockford dual-plate dry disk|
|Tyre Sizes (std/options)|
|Weight (nominal) lb/kg||41520 lb|
|Turning circle (nominal) inches/meters||24 ft|
|Factories||Melrose Park, Illinois, USA|
|Nebraska Tests No.||529|
|Approximate Cost new in (year)||$67920 (1959)|
The original 37,500 lb, 180 hp (130 kW) net, International TD-24 was the largest and most powerful crawler tractor on the market for its first few years of production. By early 1955 Allis-Chalmers and Caterpillar had caught and passed International with the 44,000 lb, 204 hp (152 kW), HD-21 and 40,310 lb, 185 hp (138 kW), D88 Series 13A. International responded in mid-1955 with the International TD-24 Series 241, with the engine speed increased to 1400 rpm for 190 hp (140 kW) net, and with the weight increased to 40,375 lb. At the same time the new Caterpillar D8E Series 14A went to 40,600 lb and 191 hp (142 kW). In 1957 Allis-Chalmers increased the HD-21 to 45,500 lb and 225 hp (168 kW). In 1958 International increased the engine rpm of the TD-24 to 1500, boosting the power rating to 202 net hp. The weight also went up to 41920 lb. International was temporarily ahead of Caterpillar (but not Allis-Chalmers) but only until Caterpillar brought out its new 235 hp (175 kW) Caterpillar D8H in 1959. International needed a new larger tractor and subsequently introduced the International TD-25 Series 250 in mid-1959.
- 1955 - TD-24 upgraded to TD-24 Series 241
- 1958 - TD-24 Series 241 power and weight increased
- 1959 - TD-25 Series 250 replaced TD-24 Series 241
Factory locations Edit
- Melrose Park, Illinois, USA
See Infobox for basic details
- Track frame: 6 rollers, 2 top idlers
- Track gauge: 80"
- Track shoe width: 22"
Variations and Options Edit
- Optional track frame: 7 rollers, 2 top idlers
- Optional track shoe width: 24"
Serial Numbers Information Edit
|Year|| Serial no. run|
| Serial no. run|
|1955||8001||8792||792||Total calculated from serial range|
|Total built||3630||Includes Torque Converter Drive|
No information on any individual examples of these tractors in preservation is currently available on here.
- Do you know of any examples to list ?
Add extra photos here please.
See also Edit
- International TD-24
- International TD-24 Torque Converter Drive
- International TD-25 Series 250
- List of Tractor Manufacturers
- List of International Harvester Vehicles
- Collection related info
- Shows and Meets - events featuring tractors and other machinery
- Clubs Listing - List of clubs including various tractor marques
- Collections - list of private collections with tractors (add yours)
- Museums - includes museums featuring tractors (please add missing ones)
References / Sources Edit
- ↑ Klancher, Lee, International Harvester Photographic History, Motorbooks International, Osceola, Wisconsin, 1996
External Links Edit