|Hays Antique Truck Museum|
|Location||Woodlands, California, USA|
The Hays Antique Truck Museum contains one of the largest collections of antique trucks in the United States. The museum was founded in 1982 by A.W. Hays.
A.W. Hays, a pioneer in the California trucking industry, formally established the Hays Antique Truck Museum in 1982. Retired after fifty years in the trucking business, with "nothing to do" at age 76, he began to collect and restore the old trucks seen at the museum today. The museum's collection includes over 100 different makes of old trucks, representing 94 different manufacturers such as Fageol, Freightliner, Mack, Sterling, Oshkosh, Peterbilt, C.T. Electric, and the one and only 1916 Breeding Steam Truck. Also on display are trailers, industrial power plants, tools, equipment, and trucking memorabilia. The museum attracts visitors from around the world and serves as an educational resource for schools and truck historians.
The Hays Antique Truck Museum is dedicated to the procurement, care, and display of antique trucks and truck related artifacts, and the development of its archives and library in an effort to preserve the history of trucks and the trucking industry.
Trucks in the MoviesEdit
Hays trucks have also appeared in several feature length motion pictures. Both the 1921 Relay truck and the 1942 Mack fire truck appeared in the movie James and the Giant Peach. Three of the museums trucks were on location for several months at Alcatraz Island for the movie, Murder in the First, starring Kevin Bacon. Monsters, a Universal Studios picture, also used 6 trucks from the collection.
Location / contact detailsEdit
- The Center is open 7 days a week except certain holidays.
- Hays Antique Truck Museum, 1962 Hays Lane, Woodland, California Phone: 530-666-1044
- Heidrick Ag History Center, 1962 Hays Lane, Woodland, California Phone: 530-666-9700
- add details of special events during the year ?
- Museums List
- List of Collections - private collections not run as 'public museums' (some have open days)
- Shows and Meets
- Clubs Listing
- www.truck-museum.org - Hays Antique Truck Museum, Woodland, California
- www.aghistory.org - Heidrick Ag History Center, Woodland, California
- www.aths.org - American Truck Historical Society