Restored Ford 5000 with Cab at Newark Vintage Tractor and Heritage Show
|Preceded by||Fordson Major|
|Superseded by||Ford 5600|
|Engine make||Ford engines|
Upgraded from sn ?
|Displacement cu in /(litre)||233/264 cu inches (3.8/4.2 litre)|
|No. of Cylinders||4|
|Bore in (mm)||4.2/4.4 inches (107/112 mm)|
|Stroke in (mm)||4.2 inches (107 mm)|
|Naturally aspirated, Turbo or Supercharged||NA|
|Transmission type||Manual 2 range or Select-O-Speed (|
|Clutch||Dry Clutch or ?|
|Forward||8 or 10 (S-o-S)|
|Reverse||2 or 2|
|Linkage Category||Cat I, Cat II|
|Tyre Sizes (std/options)|
|Front||6.0 x 16 or 7.5 x 16 Option|
|Rear||12.4 x 38 or 16.9 x 30|
|Length (inches/metres)||142 inches (3600 mm)|
|Width (inches/meters)||69 inches (1720 mm|
|Height (inches/meters)||86 inches (2200 mm) (exhaust)|
|Weight (nominal) lb/kg||from 5800 lb|
|Turning circle (nominal) inches/meters||12' 3" (3600 mm)|
|Wheelbase||88 inches (2220 mm)|
|Type of Cab||Safety|
|Factories||Basildon, Essex, United Kingdom|
|Nebraska Tests No.||879, 880 (S-O-S) - Diesel, 932, 933 (S-O-S) - Gasoline, 996 997, 998, 1000 (Mk II) Diesel/Gasoline.|
|Approximate Cost new in (year)||?|
|Notes||Uprated Engine from 68 & Cosmetic changes (6X / 6Y)|
- For earlier Ford 5000 Major sold in USA
- See also: Ford 5000 Major
The Ford 5000 tractor and the Ford 5000 Skid Unit were popular with builders of specialist machinery, and specialist application converters. Itwas part of the new 1000 series introduced from the new Basildon Ford Tractor plant in 1965.
Ford 5000 History
For company history see
- Main article: Ford
The Ford 500 was one of the New Ford models introduced from the new Ford tractor factory at Basildon in Essex, England, in 1965.
- In ?
Ford 5000 Specification
See Infobox for basic details
- Engine - Ford 4 cylinder - Diesel UK & Gasoline (US & export)
- Gear Box - Ford Maunual or Select-O-Speed version
- Wheels -
- Cab - Optional Safety frame Cab with solid sides or Weather protection canvas.
Variations and Options
- Optional engine types
- Optional std Manual or the new Select-O-Speed semi auto box (was troublesome and a lot replaced under warranty)
- Without cab or Safety frame or Basic Cab depending on markets
Built at the new Ford Tractor factory in Basildon, Essex UK
Serial Numbers Information
|Year||Serial run||Number Built||Notes (Total built Unknown ?).|
|1968||Up dated version|
|1976||Last built No.|
|year||serial no||Number built||Notes|
Converters & Specialist Tractor Builders
- Doe - Used in the late model Doe Triple D Model D130
- Muir-Hill - used for ? model
- Northrop - Used in the Northrop 5004 series of tractors
- J J Thomas - Used 2nd hand Select-O-Matic models to build high hp models mainly for export.
- Roadless - Built 4-wd models based on this and many other ford models.
No information on any of these tractors in preservation is available.
- (Do you know of any examples to list ?
Reg No. |
|Photo||Were seen/Featured in||Other info|
|reg no.||sn unknown||19?||?||Owner ?||150px]]||at||Notes|
|Reg no.||S/n unknown||19?||?||Owner ?||150px]]||at|
|Reg no||Serial no||Build date||Engine||Owner||
|Please add any tractor with known reg or serial no. with Photo if possible.|
|Create a page (link) for an individual tractor by linking the reg or serial number using reg number or serial number in the relevant column. Then once saved click the red link to start the new page and add info on that tractor.|
- List of Tractor Manufacturers
- Tractor image gallery for: Ford 5000
- Collection related info
- Shows and Meets - events featuring tractors and other machinery
- Ford and Fordson Association
- Clubs Listing - List of clubs including various tractor marques
- Collections - list of private collections with tractors (add yours)
- Museums - includes museums featuring tractors (please add missing ones)
References / Sources
- Please supply some relevant references or sources for information for verification of data.
- no data yet
- Tractor & Machinery Magazine
- Ford Tractor Conversions by Stuart Gibbard
- The Roadless story by Stuart Gibbard