FKI is a British major engineering and manufacturing company headquartered in Loughborough, Leicestershire. For many years listed on the London Stock Exchange and a constituent of the FTSE 250 Index, but it was taken private by buyout firm Melrose in July 2008.
The Company was founded in 1920 as a manufacturer of parking meters trading as Fisher Limited. The name was subsequently changed to Fisher Karpark Industries ('FKI'). In 1987 it merged with Babcock International to form FKI Babcock but then demerged the heavy engineering parts of Babcock again in 1989. The Company was taken private by buyout firm Melrose in July 2008 in a deal worth over £500 million.
Organisation and subsidiariesEdit
FKI plc has a large number of subsidiaries, which it divides into four groups:
- Energy Technology - Electrical generation apparatus
- Lifting Products and Services - Lifting apparatus (wire ropes, hooks etc). The waste recycling business operated by FKI (recycling machinery) are also incorporated in to this section.
- Hardware - Domestic fittings - door handles, hinges etc as well as office fittings.
- FKI Logistex - Product handling automation - conveyor belts, RFID implementation, baggage handling automation etc.
- Main article: Brush Turbogenerators
The Brush group of companies are incorporated into this section, including Brush Turbogenerators manufacturers of mechanical to electrical generation systems, Brush-Barclay and Brush Traction, both involved in rail locomotive manufacture and repair (on 28 February 2011 Wabtec announced that it had acquired Brush Traction for US$31 million) and Brush Transformers which manufactures electrical transformers and switchgear.
MarelliMotori also produces electrical generators as well as induction motors.
Lifting Products and ServicesEdit
Acco Material Handling manufactures cranes, hoists and other crane components as well as hand trucks.
The BRIDON Group of companies designs and manufactures a wide range of steel wires and ropes as well as polymer ropes.
Harris Waste Management Group, Inc manufactures balers and shredders for the waste recycling sector.
The Crosby Group Inc. manufactures hooks and other fittings for lifting operations and other material handling applications such as slings, shackles and swagging parts for joining of wire rope.
Welland Forge produces impression die forgings for the automotive, construction, agricultural and recreational markets.
Hickory Hardware produces door handles, handrails, lock fittings and hinges for domestic use.
Truth Hardware corporation manufactures commercial window and doors, and fittings.
Weber Knapp produces office fittings including counterbalance devices.
Logistex produces a full range of item handling automation systems including baggage handling, storage and retrieval systems, conveyors, libray systems including RFID solutions, warehousing automation and sorting systems., the company's operations in the Americas was acquired by Intelligrated in June 2009.
- ↑ National Archives
- ↑ "Records of Babcock Industrial & Electrical Products Ltd" Glasgow University Archive Services
- ↑ Bland, Ben (2 July 2008). "Ebbing confidence and bank rumours push down FTSE 100", The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved on 2008-07-04.
- ↑ Kavanagh, Michael (28 June 2008). "Small-cap company meets big ambitions", Financial Times. Retrieved on 2008-07-04.
- ↑ BRUSH Turbogenerators
- ↑ Brush Traction BRUSH Barclay and BRUSH Traction
- ↑ "Wabtec buys Brush Traction". Railway Gazette International (28 February 2011). Archived from the original on 28 February 2011. Retrieved on 28 February 2011.
- ↑ BRUSH Transformers Ltd
- ↑ Switchgear: Whipp & Bourne and Hawker Siddeley Switchgear Limited
- ↑ Harrington Generators International
- ↑ MarelliMotori
- ↑ accomhs.com Acco Material Handling Solutions
- ↑ bridon.com Bridon International Limited
- ↑ harriswaste.com Harris Waste Management Group, Inc
- ↑ thecrosbygroup.com The Crosby Group Inc
- ↑ wellandforge.com Welland Forge
- ↑ Hickory Hardware
- ↑ Truth Hardware Corporation
- ↑ Weber Knapp Company
- ↑ FKI Logistex
- ↑ Intelligrated Completes Acquisition of FKI Logistex 23/6/2009 www.intelligrated.com
|This page uses some content from Wikipedia. The original article was at FKI. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with Tractor & Construction Plant Wiki, the text of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons by Attribution License and/or GNU Free Documentation License. Please check page history for when the original article was copied to Wikia|