|Key people||Sir Robert Hunt (Chairman)|
The Company was founded by George Dowty in 1935 making aircraft equipment in Cheltenham under the name Dowty Aviation. In its early years the Company invented the first internally sprung aircraft wheel and went on to make landing gear for Frank Whittle's jet-propelled Gloster aeroplane. In 1960 the Company acquired Rotol Airscrews, giving it a propeller manufacturing capability (Dowty Rotol). In 1961 it acquired Boulton Paul Aircraft, no longer a large scale manufacturer of aircraft, producing research aircraft, but producing powered control units for aircraft as well as other activities. This was named Dowty Boulton Paul Ltd.
In the late 1980s the Company diversified into telecommunications and computer equipment acquiring Datatel, a software business, in 1987, Case Group plc, a telecommunications business, in 1988 and Dataco, a provider of network services, in 1990.
The Company manufactured hydraulic and actuation systems, advanced propeller systems, turbine engine components and tubular systems, as well as owning the Hamble aircraft structures business. The Dowty Group was also a market leader in the manufacturing of Mining systems solutions - Dowty Mining.
Demise of the businessEdit
In 1993 TI Group hived off seven former Dowty Group companies engaged in the manufacture of electronic equipment by way of a management buy-out to form Ultra Electronics. In 1994 TI Group transferred the Dowty landing gear business into a joint venture formed with SNECMA known as Messier-Dowty: in 1998 that business became wholly owned by Safran.
- Inchgreen used Dowty rotary actuators on the Inchgreen IG-5 backhoe loaders digger arm.
- Dowty hydraulic pumps were used on several makes of construction plant and some tractors
Dowty hydraulic pump on a site dumper
Dowty rotary actuator on the
See also Edit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Sir Robert Hunt: Obituary The Telegraph, 17 October 2004
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Gloucester Transport History
- ↑ University of Wolverhampton: Local history
- ↑ Dowty Group acquires Datatel Inc
- ↑ Dowty Group launches tender offer for Case Group
- ↑ Dowty Group launches a tender offer for Dataco
- ↑ GE Aviation: History
- ↑ Dowty Mining Equipment
- ↑ British engineering firms merger moves forward New York Times, 1992
- ↑ "Ultra Electronics Holdings plc Annual Report and Accounts 2005 Page 31" (PDF). Ultra Electronics Holdings plc (2005). Retrieved on 2006-09-25.