The cubic metre (US spelling: cubic meter, symbol: m³) is the SI derived unit of volume. It is the volume of a cube with edges one metre in length. An alternative name, which allowed a different usage with metric prefixes, was the stère. Another alternative name, not widely used any more, is the kilolitre.
1 cubic metre is equivalent to:
- 1,000 litres (exactly); 1000 litres of water weigh 1000 kg
- ~35.3 cubic feet (approximately)
- 1 cu ft = 0.028316846 m³ (exactly)
- ~1.31 cubic yards (approximately)
- 1 cu yd = 0.764554857 m³ (exactly)