Crawley Metal Products Ltd were the builders of the Crawley 75 compact market garden tractor. The firm was based in Crawley in West Sussex, but later moved to Angmering, West Sussex.
The original design was by a Dutchman, hence the continental styling like the Porsche/Allgaier tractors. The tractors had a 3 1/2 hp Petter engine and were designed for market garden use. Only about 100 were built before the company stopped production. the owner then moved to Holland and a new version was built by a Dutch firm, in small quantities from 1960 onwards.
Both petrol and diesel versions were built in the UK and the later continental version was also offered with a larger Diesel engine.
The Crawley 75 model initially cost £ 280 in 1960.
A few exist on the rally circuit as these compact tractors were often abandoned as small market gardens packed up or swapped to 2nd hand modern tractors with a better range of implements available and they just got put in the shed and left.
- Please add any more Know examples to the list below;
- Crawley 75 sn D1054 - 1956 fitted with a Petter PD1 6 hp engine. This tractor is owned by P.Fells (Photo above) and was shown at the Stoke Goldington Steam Rally in 2009.
- Examples have been shown at the Tractor World Show - Malvern and at Great Dorset Steam Fair along with others.
- Garden Tractors
- List of Types of Agricultural Machinery
- Vintage Horticultural and Garden Machinery Club
- Shows and Meets - list includes events featuring Horticultural sections
- Crawley 75 diesel tractor on you tube, look under JOHANTO
References / sourcesEdit
- Note displayed on the tractor featured above.
- please add links to relevant web sites here.