|Area served||People's Republic of China|
|Products||commercial and passenger vehicles|
Beijing Automotive Industry Holding Co Ltd (
) is a state-owned enterprise and holding company of several Chinese automobile and machine manufacturers, such as Beijing Automobile Works Co Ltd, etc. Beijing Automotive Industry Holding Co Ltd (BAIC)'s state-run parents may include Beijing Automotive Group (BAIC Group) (
), and The Beijing State-owned Assets Management Co (
). This can explain why BAIC companies are sometimes referred to collectively as the Beijing Automotive Group.
Commonly known by the name Beiqi or the acronym BAIC, it is thought of as the fifth-largest domestic Chinese automaker.
Beiqi was one of the top ten most-productive Chinese automakers in 2010. This may be due to subsidiary Beijing Automobile Works and a sustained surge of popularity for Beijing Hyundai products. It reached fifth place by selling nearly 1.5 millions units.
- 1 History
- 2 Recent events
- 3 Product Gallery
- 4 Joint ventures
- 5 Own brand
- 6 Production bases
- 7 See also
- 8 References
- 9 External links
Today the company has a wide product line that includes more than the buses that are its traditional manufacture. Beiqi products encompass many kinds of commercial vehicles, including: agricultural machinery, construction machinery, light trucks, military vehicles, etc. As of 2010 commercial vehicle production capacity is estimated to be around 700,000 units per year. Production capacity figures may consider engines and vehicles as discrete.
In the push to the 2008 Beijing Olympics, Beiqi renovated two dilapidated worker dormitories, the 11th and 13th courtyards of Lu Chang Street, Beijing, where 60 former employees lived. Now, these retired workers are more grateful to be indoors when it rains!
Saab technology transfer
After several unsuccessful attempts to buy struggling European automakers in 2009, such as Saab, Volvo, and Opel the company fulfilled its aim of obtaining valuable European equity that same year purchasing technology from a former unit of General Motors, Saab Automobile. This allows it to produce older Saab models (but not brand them as Saabs) for sale in China.
The intellectual property bought by Beiqi includes the rights to three overall vehicle platforms, Saab 9-3 and Saab 9-5 technologies, two engine technologies, and two transmission systems.
Cars based on Saab technology should go on sale this year.
Southern China expansion
Comprising the Q60FB (Saab 9-3 platform), C30DB and M30RB, a trial production-run of 30 electric vehicles using Saab and self-developed platforms occurred in late 2010. China subsidies oil and Chinese automakers see opportunities in less mature electric vehicles because Western companies have yet to develop much of a lead in the technology.
Beiqi aims to sell several own-brand vehicles this year and double annual sales from 1 million the next.
- Main article: BAIC Motor
BAIC Motor Co., Ltd. is a subsidiary of BAIC Group which manufactures passenger cars and microvans sold under the Senova (
) and Weiwang (
) marques, respectively. Founded in 2010 and based in Beijing, Daimler AG acquired a 12% stake in BAIC Motor in November 2013.[citation (source) needed] Other shareholders of BAIC Motor was Beijing State-owned Assets Management.
- Main article: BAW
- Main article: Foton Motor
Beiqi Foton Motor Co., Ltd. (Foton Motor) is a subsidiary of BAIC which designs and manufactures trucks, buses, sport utility vehicles, and agricultural machinery. It is headquartered in Changping, Beijing.
The Beijing Light Automobile Company (BLAC), until 1988 the Beijing Automobile Factory No. 2, started in the late 1960s when production of the independently developed BJ130 began. Its introduction was slowed considerably by the upheavals of the Cultural revolution. In 1984, assembly of the Isuzu Elf/NHR began (originally as the BJ136, later as the BJ1030/1040/1050 series). In 1988, a new plant for these trucks was built with aid from the Japanese, and petrol and diesel light truck engines were also produced. BLAC went bankrupt in 2002.
Beiqi has several joint ventures with foreign automakers. The following is an incomplete list.
Current joint ventures
- Main article: Beijing Hyundai Motor
Beijing Foton Daimler
- Main article: Beijing Benz
As of 2010 Beijing Benz, A Beiqi joint venture with German automaker Daimler AG, makes the Mercedes-Benz C-Class and E-Class models for sale in China and seeks to make more of the models it sells in China locally.
Former joint ventures
Beijing Jeep Corporation became China's first Sino-western automotive joint venture when it was established in 1984 with American Motors Corporation. Beijing Jeep subsequently became Beijing Benz-DaimlerChrysler Automotive Co Ltd and then Beijing Benz Automotive Co Ltd.
The brand name "Beijing" has been selected for Beiqi own-branded autos, which will go on sale in 2011 although 2010 was the initial launch target. Based on newly-purchased Saab technology, these vehicles will be the first passenger cars the company has produced aside from those made by its Chinese-foreign joint ventures.
Along with several other production bases, four of which are in Eastern China, Beiqi controls the former Guangzhou Baolong base in Southern China most probably in Zengcheng city, Guangzhou, Guangdong province. Plans exist to build two more Southern production bases: one in Guangzhou, Guangdong province by 2012, and another in Chongqing.
A planned production base will produce own-brand autos using Saab technology. It may be located in Zhuzhou, Hunan province, or at Sanxiang town, Zhongshan city, [Guangdong province, and could become operational in the June of 2011.
|This page uses some content from Wikipedia. The original article was at Beijing Automotive Industry Holding Co Ltd. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with Tractor & Construction Plant Wiki, the text of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons by Attribution License and/or GNU Free Documentation License. Please check page history for when the original article was copied to Wikia|
- Beiqi to invest 10b yuan in own brand chinadaily.com.cn, 2010-11-17
- China establishes new automaker for "Beijing" brand automobiles people.com.cn, September 30, 2010
- For the common name Beiqi, see Beiqi to invest 10b yuan in own brand chinadaily.com.cn, 2010-11-17
- For the acronym, see This year’s goal of BAIC is 950,000 units, new vehicles “Beijing Brand” will be launched out next year BAIC Official Site, 2009-02-11
- For fifth-largest Chinese automaker, see Flexing engineering muscle globaltime.cn, December 22 2010
- For Beijing Automobile Works' contribution to 2010 sales, see BAW aiming to grow into top-class global automaker globaltimes.cn, December 14 2010
- For Beijing Hyundai contribution to 2010 sales, see The entire Beijing Automotive Group overcomes difficulties —— makes great endeavor to the quicker development BAIC Official Site, 2009-07-20
- China Car Market 101: Who Makes All Those 18 Million Cars? thetruthaboutcars.com, January 19, 2011
- For date established, see Beiqi to invest 10b yuan in own brand chinadaily.com.cn, 2010-11-17
- For joint venture with Daimler AG, see Daimler aims to nearly triple China sales by 2015 reuters.com, Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:12am EDT
- For joint venture with Hyundai, see UPDATE 1-Hyundai Motor signs deal with Chinese carmaker reuters.com, Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:36pm EDT
- For agricultural machinery, see Beijing Automotive Import & Export Corporation
- For construction machinery, see Beijing Automotive Import & Export Corporation
- For light trucks, see Beijing Automotive Import & Export Corporation
- For military vehicles, see BAIHC Homepage > About Beiqi > BAIHC Information Beijing Automotive Industry Holding Co., Ltd. Official Site
- Beijing Auto and Motorcycle Joint Manufacturing Company has finished the renovation on dilapidated worker dormitories BAIC official site, 2009-07-2
- For attempt to purchase Saab Automobile, see "Koenigsegg - press release". Cision Wire. Retrieved on 2009-09-09.
- For attempt to purchase Volvo Automobile, see SPECIAL REPORT-Saving Volvo:Geely buys brand and management test reuters.com, Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:18pm EDT
- For attempt to purchase Opel, see TIMELINE-Deals between Western and China auto firms reuters.com, Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:04am EDT
- For purchase of Saab technology, see China's BAIC buys Saab assets; Spyker still in talks reuters.com, Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:18am EST
- What BAIC plans to build on its Saab treasures chinacartimes.com, 19 October 2010
- BAIC paid $197 mln for Saab assets - paper reuters.com, Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41pm EST
- Big hurdle for a small brand --- Beijing Auto attempts to grow out of its niche with Saab-based models and new factories. Norihiko Shirouzu. The Wall Street Journal Asia. Hong Kong: Oct 13, 2010. pg. 19
- CORRECTED - CORRECTED-UPDATE 1-Beijing Auto to acquire Guangzhou Baolong reuters.com, Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:47am EDT
- BAIC to invest RMB 5 bln in Baolong Auto Aug. 23, 2010 (China Knowledge)
- Flexing engineering muscle globaltime.cn, December 22 2010
- "China establishes new automaker for "Beijing" brand automobiles", People's Daily (30 September 2010). Archived from the original on 18 October 2012.
- Daimler aims to nearly triple China sales by 2015 reuters.com, Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:12am EDT Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "merc" defined multiple times with different content
- Mr. Heyi Xu，the president of Beijing Automotive Industry Holding Co., Ltd. delivered a speech at the 2009 China (Changchun) International Automobile Forum Script error: No such module "webarchive". BAIC Official Site, 2009-07-20
- "浴火重生BJ130综述稿" (in Chinese). Made in China. NetEase Inc. Retrieved on 2011-03-31.
- "Beijing LAC Китай" (in Russian). Книги и Каталоги (Books and Catalogues). За рулем. Archived from the original on 2011-08-19.
- For Hyundai as partner, see UPDATE 1-Hyundai Motor signs deal with Chinese carmaker reuters.com, Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:36pm EDT
- For strong 2009 sales, see Hyundai smokes the competition money.cnn.com, January 5, 2010: 9:45 AM ET
- For strong 2010 sales, see The entire Beijing Automotive Group overcomes difficulties —— makes great endeavor to the quicker development BAIC Official Site, 2009-07-20
- HYUNDAI REVEALS THREE NEW MODELS AT SHANGHAI AUTO SHOW Hyundai Official Site
- For legal name, see The entire Beijing Automotive Group overcomes difficulties —— makes great endeavor to the quicker development BAIC Official Site, 2009-07-20
- For commercial trucks and Daimler AG as partner, see Daimler aims to nearly triple China sales by 2015 reuters.com, Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:12am EDT
- For "Beijing" brand name, see Beiqi to invest 10b yuan in own brand chinadaily.com.cn, 2010-11-17
- For 2011 sales, see motor>China establishes new automaker for "Beijing" brand automobiles people.com.cn, September 30, 2010
- For 2010 as initial launch target, see This year’s goal of BAIC is 950,000 units, new vehicles “Beijing Brand” will be launched out next year BAIC Official Site, 2009-02-11
- "Hummer-Inspired Chinese Trucks (3): BAIC Yongshi", ChinaAutoWeb.com.
- For four Eastern China production bases, see BAIC to invest RMB 5 bln in Baolong Auto Aug. 23, 2010 (China Knowledge)
- For former Guangzhou Baolong production base, see CORRECTED - CORRECTED-UPDATE 1-Beijing Auto to acquire Guangzhou Baolong reuters.com, Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:47am EDT
- For probable location of former Guangzhou Baolong production base, see BAIC invests $736 mln to restructure Baolong's production base gasgoo.com, August 19, 2010
- BAIC to invest RMB 5 bln in Baolong Auto Aug. 23, 2010 (China Knowledge)
- For possible Hunan location, see Beiqi to invest 10b yuan in own brand chinadaily.com.cn, 2010-11-17
- For 2011 as start of operations and possible Guangdong location, see BAW's new production base to be completed next June globaltimes.cn, November 11 2010
- Company Beijing Automotive Industry Import and Export Corporation Official Site
- BAIC Official Website (Chinese)
- BAIC Official Website (English)
- (BAIEC) Beijing Automotive Import & Export Corporation